An advanced course for qualified mediators, wishing to carry out mediations in the field of special educational needs and disability, formally approved by the Civil Mediation Council and the College of Mediators, April 2019.
Download Global Mediation Prospectus Below
The overall aim of the course is to equip mediators (those with an initial recognised mediation qualification) to be competent to work in the specialist area of SEND mediation, and to be able to apply to the College of Mediators and the Civil Mediation Council for registration as a specialist mediator in SEND. The aim of the course specifically is for participants to gain awareness, knowledge, and experience of Special Educational Needs and Disability legislation, context, and local processes and procedures, as well as relevant mediation skills.
Established in 1999, Global Mediation is widely recognised as the leading SEND Mediation provider in the UK, offering high quality, fully audited and accredited mediation services, and an extensive range of education and training programmes. We currently work in over 60 Local Authorities across the UK, and boast a panel of more than 30 qualified, experienced and dedicated mediators, with 4 additional In-House Specialist Mediators, all of whom are supported by a team of permanent office staff in our North London based offices.
Most recently, we have engaged in a period of pioneering project work in partnership with the DfE, in order to produce our innovative SEND Mediator Training Course – an advanced course for qualified mediators wishing to carry out mediations in the field of special educational needs and disability, formally approved by the Civil Mediation Council and the College of Mediators (April 2019). Successful completion of a SEND Mediation Training Course is now required to achieve validation from the Civil Mediation Council and the College of Mediators in order to then qualify and practice as a specialist SEND mediator. Within our profession, the move to become accredited, supported by the DfE, is a hugely positive step and one which we are enthusiastic about — and fully committed to.
Completing a training course in SEND Mediation at Global Mediation will equip you with the necessary knowledge, skills and understanding required to practise as a specialist SEND mediator. You will also be able, where necessary, to apply to the College of Mediators and the Civil Mediation Council for membership.
The course is aimed at professional mediators with an invested interest in mediating disputes within the field of Special Educational Needs and Disability. Mediation practitioners applying for the course will need to have attended and be able to evidence successful completion of a foundation course in mediation.
* The SEND Mediation Training Course is for qualified, experienced mediators wishing to specialise in the field of Special Educational Needs and Disability mediation. Applicants are required to have successfully lead a minimum of three mediation cases (in any area) prior to applying. All individual and relevant mediation experience, extent of mediation skills and confidence in mediating will be taken into account upon application. Please contact us to discuss further.
Your fee of £2000 + VAT includes
• Pre-course mediation observation opportunity.
• An induction meeting and pre-course reading advice
• Taught component: 4 modules over two days.
• Lunch, refreshments and course materials during the two days taught training.
• DBS application fee
• Module 5: Professional Practice and Casework consisting of 3 graduated casework opportunities (mediation observation; co/mediation and lead mediation practice) organised and supervised. Completion of Module 5 will usually take between 3-12 months following the Taught component of the course, dependent on individual circumstances and tutor availability. Three assessed mediation cases are a minimum requirement and additional supported cases may be required, carrying an additional fee.
• Two individual tutorials to support you throughout the course and to discuss future plans
• Assistance with preparation of your application to be submitted to the CMC and CoM if needed.
• Certificate upon completion of the course.
£2000 + VAT to be paid in two instalments
Fees are refundable in full if cancelled 28 days prior to commencement of the course. 50% of the fees are refundable if cancelled 7 days prior to commencement of the course. In exceptional circumstances deferment of date may be agreed at the discretion of Global Mediation. Travel expenses are not included, and you may be required to travel to mutually agreeable locations to complete the Professional Practice Mediation sessions. Please note that this information is for guidance only, and is subject to change.
To register your interest or to request upcoming course dates, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org We will send you an application form which you will be asked to return with your CV, a covering letter and details of your mediation certification.
The interview will be conducted by at least one of the course leaders. It is an opportunity for us to find out what has motivated you to apply for the course, and for you to find out a little more about the course content, the course staff and what to expect upon successful completion of the course, and finally to establish whether the course is right for you. Interviews will be conducted via telephone or teleconferencing, by arrangement. Applicants are encouraged to share with us any individual or specific needs with regard to this training, so that consideration can be given to providing support, reasonable adjustments, or other assistance.
The lectures were rated as clear, easy to understand and engaging by all participants
“The course content was excellent”
“Clear course objectives”
“The structure, pace and discussion was excellent. Objectives completely relevant”
“The open and easy discussion and clear explanation was very reassuring and enormously helpful”
All course participants felt the course tutors showed appropriate knowledge of the subject matter
“The pace and atmosphere was well established, as was the focus and relevance of discussion, slides and activities”
“Good paperwork support”
All course participants felt the course fully met their expectations